Sunday, July 19, 2015

Stuff and Nonsense



Apropos of nothing, first let me say that I LOVE this ad.  The Kona Brewing ad campaign  isn’t just clever, (they get people like me to giggle even though I don’t drink beer)  it is downright brilliant and a call to mindfulness.  Why not make 1 hour sad hour and the rest 23 happy?  Genius.

For all its cuteness, this ad begs attention to some more fundamental questions:

What is it all for?
How much do I really need?
What is the meaning of life?

Maybe not in so many terms, but it manages to at least get you thinking.  How much of our freedom are we sacrificing to our stuff, our pursuit of stuff (physical stuff, emotional stuff, existential stuff like love, security, health) and our organizing of our stuff?  And what is the price for that freedom? 

My students and some of my patients, know I am exploring the concepts of minimalism as part of an ongoing inner dialog about the meaning of life, my purpose here, where can I find balance (or is there balance?)  This is due, in part, to treating some incredibly sick people in the clinic, and a peri-menopausal hormone-induced existential crises.

Recently inspired by swapping out some old furniture and the opportunity to repaint and de-clutter, in the last 12 weeks, I have been “moving without moving” as I like to call it.  And while I have not taken the “pack-your-entire apartment-and-only-keep-what you need for 30 days, donate the rest”  plunge as aspiring minimalists espouse, I am giving every single thing in my life a level of scrutiny not even encountered in my last move across country  (Did I REALLY pay someone to move this from New York? What was I THINKING?).

As I strive for rigorous honesty in my possessions inventory, it is amazing the mind-tape which proclaims that I might need this someday,  frequently referred to as the "just-in-case" items.  When preparing to donate several hundred dollars of beautiful clothing which I have not used or worn in a decade (I no longer work in the finance industry or at a major university), the voice loudly insists that I may need that sweater in case global warming changes the ocean currents, plunging us into a new ice age (I live in San Diego).  Likewise the sleeping-bag-with-arms inspired coat that was my outerwear when I lived in the big apple.  I am learning that it is important to give this voice a platform instead of suppressing it.  It is a protective voice born of deprivation, stress, years of not getting basic needs met.  In short, it is trying to keep me safe.

The problem with these inner voices is that we seldom question the truth in our running dialog. 

Moving toward a minimalist lifestyle seems to be, for me at any rate, part of being mindful.  I frequently remind my patients that not everything we believe is the truth (this usually in response to some health practice they have been following which does them no benefit and wastes time and/or money). Likewise, not everything I think about stuff and security is true.

What are the essentials?

So many of the minimalist-inspired blog talk is about a return to basics or exploring what is essential for them.  Again, those values are individual and should not be judged.  The idea is to do-away with things (stuff) that interferes with those essentials.  Hmmmm…
Essentials in  my life that are important and give value and meaning to my life, and these are in no particular order:

Meaningful work
Personal growth
Friends
Family
MUSIC
Spiritual path
Exercise
Quiet
TRAVEL
Writing
Teaching
Maintenance of health – body, mind, spirit
Financial clarity

Note that work is only part of this long list and yet it takes up 90% of my time, and has for the last 17 years, leaving precious little leftover for the rest.  Interesting that lots of “things” isn't part of the list, neither is home ownership at this point.  


In reading the wonderful essays from Josh and Ryan on “The Minimalists.com”, both of them had “soul-sucking” jobs at which they both excelled leaving them with little to no time for the rest of their lives along with mountains of personal debt (in spite of 6-figure salaries).  

As an acupuncturist  I don't make a lot of money, so living within my means has been a long-time habit.  But can I do better?  Can I pare things down further to allow more freedom for what is important to me?

Let's see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment